Have you ever read a job description for a staff writer for a newspaper, a radio producer, a graphic designer? Are there even job descriptions for “media personality” and “pundit?” So what if you actually have a dream to get out there and position yourself as an expert in your field, or maybe you just have a whole lot to say in general and jus to create a media outlet that’s totally new? Well guess what? You can start you own media empire (sort of) in just six easy steps:
1) Get a great headshot– or a few. Do formal, casual, indoors and outdoors. Stick with what’s consistent with your brand. Cost: Free (if you have a friend) – $500 (pro)
2) Start a blog on WordPress, Blogger, Typepad, etc. Cost: Free
3) Start an internet radio show on Blogtalkradio.com, Talkshoe.com or some other internet radio platform. All you need is a phone and a computer– no fancy equipment necessary: Free
4) Start a video blog and post your videos on video sharing sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv, Viddler, DailyMotion (and your own blog of course): Free for posting (can upgrade to premium memberships); around $149 for a Flip Ultra camera (2 hours of memory, no tapes).
5) Set up your social media accounts (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook) to interact with your audience: Free
6) Go to Logomaker.com and create a professional looking logo for your media organization: $49 (you can even order marketing collateral for pretty reasonable costs) But when you make it big, hire a real designer to help you upgrade your look.
Yes, I know this all sounds very easy and it sort of is. But I would recommend spending the vast majority of your time honing your messages, getting clear about your goals, and really becoming the sort of media organization you’d like to read, hear and see yourself.